24 October, 2011

Asian Granola

I'm not a huge breakfast fan.  Perhaps it's because I'm terrible at waking up in the morning.  So I'm always in a rush.  So I figured if I could prepare something healthy to eat and yet store for extended periods of time at work, I may actually be able to work this breakfast thing into my daily routine.

Granola seemed like a fairly yummy option and fit into the above criteria.  So I gave it a shot and asianised it with sesame seeds and dried Goji berries.  A great yummy snack which can be taken as a breakfast.  Perfect!

Asian Granola
Ingredients
5 cups oats
175g sugar
1 3/4 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
3/4 cup black sesame seeds
1 3/4 cup cashew nuts
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Wet ingredients
60g melted butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup honey

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 165 degrees celsius
  2. Line pan with greaseproof paper
  3. Mix all the dry ingredients together
  4. Mix all the wet ingredients together
  5. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and stir well
  6. Spread mixture evenly onto pan
  7. Bake 35 - 40 minutes until golden brown.
Tips
  1. Rotate and shake the pan every 10 minutes for even roasting
  2. Allow the granola to cool before storing
  3. Can be stored in the fridge if it lasts long enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment